Video Topic Factsheet: Protecting Our Water Supply
Do you know where your community’s clean water comes from? Depending on where you live, it might come from a river, a lake, or an underground aquifer. Communities rely on a clean water supply for drinking water, showers, and countless everyday activities. Make a video about how pollution can get into the rivers or groundwater that provide our drinking water.
Some facts and ideas to help you choose a theme:
- We all belong to a watershed, an area of land that drains to a waterbody, directly or indirectly. And so, we all live downstream from somewhere and what we do anywhere affects the river downstream. Explain this concept in creative ways using video.
- Find out where your community gets its drinking water and make a video about it. Residents in Clark County get water primarily from underground aquifers. Your water provider depends on where you live, find out if your water provider is your city or Clark Public Utilities. Contact your water provider to find out where they get the water that’s piped to your home or school.
- Everyday actions like washing cars, maintaining a lawn, and walking dogs can pollute rivers. Learn about ways you can reduce pollution. Make a video about minimizing water pollution in your daily life.
- How much water do you use every day? Reducing your water consumption helps conserve the water supply. Find out ways you can help to conserve water. Make a video showing viewers how they can reduce their water consumption.
- Communities use storm drain markers to help people understand that stormwater goes straight into the river. Many communities have maps showing the underground network of stormwater pipes. When exploring Clark County’s map be sure to check the City Stormwater System checkbox in the left side menu to show the entire system. Explain where stormwater goes from where it enters the storm drains in your community.
- What does “The River Starts Here” mean to you? Make a video that answers this question. Remember to include a call to action.