Video Topic Factsheet: Climate Change
Climate change impacts our rivers and streams. Too much carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere is causing our planet to warm. We see the impacts in changing weather patterns over time including wetter winters and drier, hotter summers that intensify wildfire season and affects our snowpack and the availability of water for people, plants and wildlife.
Facts and ideas to help you choose a theme (remember - relate your video to clean water and include a call to action):
- Our changing climate impacts rivers in many ways. Make a video about an impact that’s particularly important to you.
- The Pacific Northwest’s salmon population is threatened by warming rivers and oceans because they need cold water to survive. Make a video about the impact of climate change on our native fish.
- Climate change is affecting the Columbia River, which forms much of the border between Oregon and Washington. Make a video about the Columbia or another river in your local community.
- Learn about specific ways climate change is affecting Washington and make a video about it.
- Think about ways youth can protect rivers and streams by reducing their carbon footprint and educating others about climate change. Make a video that provides tips for your peers. Are you already taking action? Tell the story of what you are doing to protect our rivers and streams by combating climate change.